Here’s the thing. We all say we are thankful for family, of thankful for food or shelter. These are easy answers. These are “givens”. What are some things you are thankful for besides the givens?
Can you think of any? When was the last time you thought about it?
It is important to me to be thankful for the things that make my life more enjoyable. Here are my top 3 things that I am thankful for besides “the givens”.
- Modern Medicine. Maybe you see where I am going with this..but hear me out. Modern medicine has changed all of our lives in one way or another. Whether you used Tamiflu for the flu, Excederin for your killer headache or used Pristiq for anxiety (like me!), it has changed our lives..for the better. I used to feel like a zombie, which is funny because I told my doctor I DIDN’T want to feel like a zombie on medication (this held me back for years). I feel great now. I feel like I got my life back. I have never felt better. Curious about how I decided to get on medication and what exactly take/for what? My therapist told me to get a life
“My family and friends don’t think I should be on medication”
– Direct Message on Instagram
The above statement is something I read in my direct messages constantly. I get it, because I was the same way. People will make you feel like you can get through it without medication. “Just go outside”. “Get some friends”. “Just relax..your life isn’t bad”. These are things I constantly heard..until I woke up one day and said “Nope. This is my life and it sure would be a hell of a lot better if I felt better.” You’ve gotta take control over your mental health and get the help you need. People will try to scare you with “those medications have side effects!” You know what else has side effects? Depression, anxiety, panic disorder and PTSD. Side effects like being unhappy, living a lack luster life, feeling like you can’t trust anyone and of course..suicide.
Don’t let anyone tell you what you should be on ..except maybe a mental health professional/doctor!
- TV. Sorry..I said it. I am thankful for Netflix, HGTV, Oxygen, Investigation Discovery, Dateline, ETC. TV is great. TV is great especially when you are a parent and have next to zero alone time..so when you do get 30 minutes to an hour of uninterrupted peace…sorry I want to cuddle up on the couch and solve a 35 year old cold case. It is what I enjoy!
Curious about what I am currently loving to watch?
- The Haunting of Hill House, Netflix
- Ozark, Netflix
- Dexter, Netflix
- House Hunters, HGTV
- Sabrina, Netflix
- Anything on I.D.
- Dateline, new, old, everything.
- Cold Justice, Netflix (SO GOOD)
- Friends. Friends are the new family. Yeah..family is great but when was the last time you and your family agreed on anything? Well, if you are like me that was in 2004 when we decided to go to Carrabba’s instead of Macaroni Grill. I would have to say 2018 was the year for friends for me. I have never felt more supported by a group of girlfriend than now. I have had friends stand up for me at work. I have had friends loan me money. I have had friends support me while I cried at 1am over a break up. I have had friends watch my daughter while I went on a date. I have had friends to talk to about everything from politics to casseroles. I moved in with my best friend this year. FRIENDS FRIENDS FRIENDS. They are the MVP and what I am truly thankful for. Curious about some of the things my friends supported me through? Me. A Microphone. 12 minutes and 300 strangers.
Want to read more? Here are a few of my favorites!